WARNING – INCORRECTLY FITTED WINDSCREENS ARE MORE DANGEROUS THAN YOU CAN IMAGINE
Recent research by the UK’s prestigious Transport Research Laboratory (TRL) has highlighted real safety risks associated with poorly fitted windscreens including a marked affect on the vehicle’s handling and the correct operation of passenger airbags.
Here are Seven Life threatening risks of a poorly fitted windscreen
- The report found the risk of serious or fatal injury increased by 3 to 40 times when passengers ejected, due to a windscreen falling out or shattering in an accident, compared to when they are retained inside the vehicle.
- The research also showed that in vehicle roll overs, the displacement of the roof towards the occupant may increase by up to 30% if the windscreen is dislodged from the vehicle.
- A correctly fitted windscreen is important to a vehicle’s handling characteristics, as it contributes to 34% of a passenger car’s stiffness.
- A poorly bonded windscreen may also not remain in place after a pedestrian impact, increasing the risk of injury for the driver and passengers.
- An incorrectly fitted windscreen is proven to affect the operation of the passenger airbag. When crash tests were carried out to FMVSS212 standards at a speed of 48kph, the unbonded windscreen was completely displaced and as a consequence, the passenger airbag inflated outside the confines of the vehicle and was incorrectly positioned when it was first struck by the dummy.
- According to the TRL’s database, between 22 and 45 fatally injured occupants per year in the UK, might have been in travelling in vehicles that experienced a windscreen displacement.
It’s not worth the risk to your life or the lives of your family just to save a few dollars.
The local guys will properly fit your windscreen safely at a fair price!